Online Gift Retailer with 20,000+ Products Improves Organic Traffic by 6.22% from “Quick Wins” Optimizations
The Grommet is an ecommerce gift website for unique products. The Grommet sells 20,000+ innovative products and features compelling stories about each product’s origins. Their challenge was to update a website with a large product catalog for SEO with extremely limited engineering resources. Fire&Spark™ achieved a modest YoY increase in organic traffic with a few targeted optimizations.
Given the constraints on engineering resources to implement our recommendations, Fire&Spark™ conducted through research to ensure that we proposed a vetted strategy based on a few “low hanging fruit” opportunities. Our final recommendations included optimizing product pages for high value keywords, implementing a tagging feature and creating keyword-targeted collections pages.
“We executed the project in two phases, starting with research and then moving on to execution.”
Fire&Spark™ started with data analytics to better understand conversion rates for different types of organic keywords and SEO landing pages. This data analysis allowed our team to choose the most efficient optimization opportunities.
Next, our team performed keyword research to understand the keywords customers use to search for Grommet’s gift products in search engines. Then, we reviewed Grommet’s onsite SEO, conducted a thorough technical SEO audit and examined competing SEO strategies.
The technical SEO audit resulted in recommendations for:
- Definition of technical requirements for SEO
- Website URL structure
- Develop a taxonomy for the product catalog
- Define landing pages specifically designed to target high value keywords
- Website architecture for SEO
- Keyword targeting strategy
- Define mobile SEO strategy
- Crawl rate and indexation optimization
- Faceted search implementation for SEO
- HTTP response header implementation
- Organizing sitemaps to increase indexation
6.22% organic sessions Q2 YoY 2017/2016